The international community on Saturday called for an end to deadly violence in Sudan, where battles erupted between the nation’s army and the Rapid Support Forces paramilitary group in the capital Khartoum.
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres “strongly condemns the outbreak of fighting”, his representative said.
He called on the RSF and Sudanese Armed Forces to “immediately cease hostilities, restore calm and initiate a dialogue to resolve the current crisis”, the representative added.
Mr Guterres’ spokesperson later said the UN chief had spoken with the leaders of Sudan’s army, the RSF, in addition to the African Union and Egypt.
Saudi and United Arab Emirates foreign ministers held a joint call with US Secretary of State Antony Blinken on the developing situation.
Earlier, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said in a post on Twitter that he was “deeply concerned” about the violence.
“We urge all actors to stop the violence immediately and avoid further escalations or troop mobilization and continue talks to resolve outstanding issues,” he said.
The UAE had already called on all parties to de-escalate in order to return to discussions for peace and government building, Wam reported.
“Furthermore, the embassy stresses the importance of efforts aimed at supporting the political process and achieving national consensus towards the formation of a government.”
The Russian Foreign Ministry called for a “ceasefire immediately” in Sudan, the Moscow-affiliated Tass news agency reported.
“We are calling on the conflicting sides to show political will and restraint and to take steps towards a ceasefire immediately,” it said.
Saturday’s violence was the fiercest fighting since a 2021 military takeover and attempts to restore the country’s democratic transition.
There were reports on Saturday of tanks and rocket launchers being used in Khartoum, a city of five million people after the RSF said it seized key sites in Khartoum including the airport ― as the military disputed the claims.
The Sudan Doctors’ Union reported to Reuters that at least 25 people have been killed, along with 183 injured.
“I just arrived late last night in Khartoum and woke up to the deeply disturbing sounds of gunfire and fighting,” he said.
“I am currently sheltering in place with the Embassy team, as Sudanese through Khartoum and elsewhere are doing.”
He called for “senior military leaders to stop the fighting”.
The chairperson of the African Union, Moussa Faki Mahamat, called for a ceasefire.
He urged involved parties to “immediately stop the country’s destruction, the terrorization of its population, and the bloodshed in the last ten days of the holy month of Ramadan”.
Arab League Secretary-General Ahmed Aboul Gheit voiced concern and emphasized the need to ensure the safety of Sudanese civilians, the UAE’s Wam news agency reported. He also called for an end to the deadly violence.
UN human rights chief Volker Turk said that people in Sudan “deserve better” and UN emergency relief coordinator Martin Griffiths said, “more violence will only make things worse”.
Nearby countries called for calm, including Sudan’s neighbour to the north, Egypt.
Chad closed its border with Sudan along with its request for “a return to peace”.