Seven women have been declared winners in the August 2022 gubernatorial race across the country, a record number compared to the previous election.
Homa Bay governor In Homa Bay county, outgoing woman rep Gladys Wanga was declared the winner, beating former Nairobi governor Evans Kidero
Former Chief Administrative Secretary (CAS) in the Ministry of Transport Wavinya Ndeti beat former State House Chief of staff Nzioka Waita in Machakos gubernatorial race. Below are the seven women who emerged victorious in the August 9 gubernatorial race in their respective counties.
1. Gladys Wanga Wanga clinched the victory by garnering 244,559 votes against her closest competitor, former Nairobi governor Evans Kidero who managed to get 154,182 votes. She becomes the first woman governor of Nyanza region. Wanga pledged to improve the economic well-being of Homa Bay residents.
2. Anne Waiguru Waiguru was declared the winner after defending her seat on a United Democratic Alliance (UDA) party ticket, garnering 113,088 votes. She beat the outgoing woman representative Wangui Ngirici who managed to get 105,677 votes.
3. Wavinya Ndeti Wavinya Ndeti was declared the winner in the Machakos gubernatorial race during the August 2022 General Election Ndeti trounced her competitor Nzioka Waita of the Chama Cha Uzalendo (UCC) party and other men in the race.
4. Kawira Mwangaza Kawira Mwangaza contested for the Meru governor race and won on an independent ticket. Mwangaza floured incumbent Kiraitu Murungi and UDA party’s Mithika Linturi. Kawira served Meru residents as a woman representative from 2017 to 2022.
5. Susan Kihika Nakuru senator Susan Kihika was declared the winner in the August 2022 gubernatorial race. Kihika garnered 440,797 votes against incumbent governor Lee Kinyanjui who polled 225,351 votes.
Kihika thanked Nakuru residents for believing in her and promised to serve them diligently. 6. Fatuma Achani Fatuma Achani was elected Kwale governor in the August 9 polls, after serving as governor Salim Mvuria’s deputy. She becomes the first woman governor of the coast region.
7. Cecily Mbarire In Emby county, nominated Member of Parliament (MP) Cecily Mbarire was declared governor-elect, becoming the first woman governor in Embu.
Mbarire, who contested on UDA ticket, garnered 108,610 votes in a tight race against Lenny Kivuti who got 105,246 votes.